David Murden of the And Albert Foundation has worked tirelessly for many years to progress a trade based initiative in Ghana. The core idea is a transformative project with a focus on trees, trade and training as a means to deliver sustainable communities with the potential to offer insights that can apply across Africa.
This film has been prepared as one in a series to highlight work to date and, future project priorities. Here, David has worked with film makers Stephen Rainer and Ross Cresswell again to explain the Wilberforce One Project. This project is all about raising funds to build boats that can work the Volta river system in Ghana to deliver vital medical supplies and offer greater connectivity to remote village communities. Sponsored by the Hull Paragon Rotary Club (District 1270) this project is making massive progress as part of what David has called “Wilberforce’s unfinished business”.
The Wilberforce One Project is the first step in a far more ambitious approach. The idea is to resource and complete with specialist International and local partners:
- Mapping Process 1. To map the Volta River and trace the traditional slave trade route. This will reveal a variety of archaeological and tribal artefacts as well as help to build on AAFs extensive musical and folkloric archive. AAF have been working across a wide area to build strong partnerships with local people and this extends to:
- Mapping Process 2. To map the Volta River to understand the village networks around the river systems as a means to build a viable trade corridor going forward. Logistics specialists will be engaged to complete the work using transformational logistics principles and partner experience. This to include:
- Proposals on a Hub and Spoke network. One in ten or twenty villages would be developed to operate as a catalyst for agricultural storage and information; healthcare; learning; financial services and connectivity.
- The Trees; Trade and Training project progressed.
- A Business Case to deliver a clear Investment proposal with a clear Social Return on Investment.
This mapping effort would be filmed and footage used for educational purposes as well as investment decision support.
AAF are working with a number of partners to deliver these projects and more detail will follow. Meanwhile, here’s the film:
Press: WILBERFORCE ONE